The main aim of Sector Policing is to prevent crime.
Douglasdale police precinct is divided into 4 smaller manageable areas called Sectors.
Each sector has a SAPS Commander who is responsible for the area. They are familiar with the area, its problems and the unique security requirements and challenges.
The Sector Commanders are as follows:
Sector 1: Captain Whitehead – Cell: 071 675 7166
Sector 2: Captain Lepheana – Cell: 071 675 7159
Sector 3: Captain Nedzingahe – Cell: 076 129 5946
Sector 4: Captain Celliers – Cell: 071 675 7160
Each Sector has their own CPF (Community Policing Forum) Committee which is the direct link between the Community and SAPS. This committee meets monthly, and ensures that communication between the community and the sector management is effective.
THE PURPOSE OF SECTOR POLICING
- To perform targeted visible police patrols.
- Ensure a rapid response to complaints.
- To address crime generators.
- Investigate reported cases.
- To provide a localized policing service to the community in accordance with their respective needs.
THE ROLE OF SECTOR COMMANDER
- To mobilise and organize the community in the sector to take action against local crime together with the police.
- To act as liaison with the help of the committee, between the community and Douglasdale police station.
- To act as a crime prevention officer, which involves being responsible for all plans and projects to address crime in the sector.
THE ROLE OF THE COMMUNITY LEADERS
- Community Leaders are those elected leaders in each suburb/informalsettlement/Industrial area, eg Chairman of a Residents Association (RA).
- Community Leaders must set up a database of their residents, and use this to communicate security issues.
- Community Leaders must set up WhatsApp groups to create a network for the residents.
- Community Leaders must attend the residents Sub Forum meetings to discuss action plans with the Sector Manager and CPF Committee in order to deal with crime in the sector.
- A formal Neighbourhood Watch (NHW) must be set up, whereby residents patrol in their own areas, and can join SAPS in special patrols.
THE ROLE OF THE INDIVIDUAL
- Be part of your Residents association
- Participate in neighbourhood initiatives to safeguard your area.
- Take ownership of community policing and support the South African Police Service in the enforcement of the law.
- Know your neighbours.
- Ensure that you belong to a WhatsApp Group in your area.
- Join the Neighbourhood Watch.
- Do organized Patrols in your streets.
- Be informed about crime trends in your area.
- Report ALL crime.
- Support your Sector Committee.
- Support Douglasdale Police Station.
- Like the Facebook pages for each of the Sectors.
THE GENERAL OBJECTIVES OF A COMMUNITY POLICE FORUM ARE:
- To act as an interface between the South African Police Services and the community they serve;
- To identify and communicate community highlighted policing needs and to assist the Police Service to focus their limited resources on such identified crime priorities;
- To build and maintain community / police relations to facilitate the gathering of crime intelligence, community trust and community assistance in achieving Police objectives;
- To assist with obtaining resources and support from the community to enable the Police service to best carry out its functions and activities;
- To communicate to the community Police perspectives and needs in crime combating and crime prevention as well as crime prosecutions;
- To promote accountability between the police service and the community its serves;
- Monitor the effectiveness of the Police Services in their activities within the community they serve and provide feedback thereon to Police Management;
- To Support the police services in all their functions in community policing;